Quentin Tarantino is one of the most influential directors in film history. He’s a cinematic icon. Every movie he makes becomes an instant cult classic.
Here are 20 of his best quotes on filmmaking.
1. “I was kind of excited about going to jail the first time and I learnt some great dialogue.”
2. “When people ask me if I went to film school I tell them, 'no, I went to films.’”
3. "Instead of critics reviewing my movies, now what they're really doing is trying to match wits with me. Every time they review my movies, it's like they want to play chess with the mastermind and show off every reference they can find, even when half of it is all of their own making."
4. “Anything that I'm not interested in, I can't even feign interest.”
5. “Sure, Kill Bill is a violent movie. But it's a Tarantino movie. You don't go to see Metallica and ask the f***ers to turn the music down."
6. “To me, movies and music go hand in hand. When I'm writing a script, one of the first things I do is find the music I'm going to play for the opening sequence.”
7. “As a writer, I demand the right to write any character in the world that I want to write. I demand the right to be them, I demand the right to think them and I demand the right to tell the truth as I see they are.”
8. "When I was on The View, Barbara Walters was asking me about the blood and stuff, and I said, 'Well, you know, that's a staple of Japanese cinema.' And then she came back, 'But this is America.' And I go, 'I don't make movies for America. I make movies for planet Earth."
9. "When you gotta go out and make a movie to pay for the kid's private school and for the three ex-wives, don't talk to me about your artistry. It's their job. It's not my job. It's my calling."
10. "This movie was never meant to be everything for everybody. And I don't mean that as a slam. I'm just saying I made this movie for myself and everybody else is invited."
11. "CGI has fully ruined car crashes. Because how can you be impressed with them now? When you watched them in the '70s, it was real cars, real metal, real blasts. They're really doing it and risking their lives."
12. “Violence in real life is terrible; violence in movies can be cool. It’s just another colour to work with.”
13. "I don't think the audience is this dumb person lower than me. I am the audience."
14. "I am a writer. That’s what I do. It’s a writer’s job not just to write about himself but to look at the rest of humanity and explore it — other people’s way of talking, the phrases they use. And my head is a sponge. I listen to what everyone says, I watch little idiosyncratic behaviour; people tell me a joke, and I remember it. People tell me an interesting story in their life, and I remember it."
15. "I’ve been making movies for 20 years, and as great as some of those decisions I made in the first ten years were, I probably wouldn’t make them again. What I mean is, I really liked the scripts I wrote, and I really liked my characters, but I wasn’t over-enamoured, and I wasn’t that precious about them. Back then, I got much more excited by cool casting. I liked the idea of taking an actor I’ve always liked but wasn’t being used much anymore and putting him in the movie and showing people what he could do. But I don’t feel that way anymore. Now it’s all about my characters. I actually think my characters are going to be one of my biggest legacies after I’m gone. So I have no obligation whatsoever other than to just cast it right."
16. "I am the captain of the ship, and they have to follow my orders as far as that’s concerned. But when it comes to getting the best out of them in any given scene or performance, then I’m at their disposal. Because it’s not about getting my way, it’s about making them comfortable and getting the best out of them."
17. “The easiest way to kill a cult is to make that cult accessible.”
18. "that's when you know you've found somebody really special. when you can just shut the fuck up for a minute and comfortably share silence."
19. “My plan is to have a theatre in some small town or something and I'll be manager. I'll be the crazy old movie guy.”
20. “Drop the mic. Boom. tell everybody, 'match that shit!'"